BCCF is seeking 3 motivated fisheries technicians to join our Vancouver Island team and assist with delivery of a diverse range of fisheries and environmental projects in the field and out of our Nanaimo office. The successful candidates will be expected to acquire and utilize multiple skills, bring a positive ‘can-do’ attitude to the job, as well as a willingness to learn, adapt and respond quickly while maintaining a high standard of attention to detail.
- Classification: Fisheries Technician
- Pay Rate: $20/hr plus 4% vacation pay paid out hourly
- Hours of Work: Variable depending on project, typically Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Work Location: Based in Nanaimo, BC
- Anticipated start date: April 26th, 2021
- Anticipated end date: August 27th, 2021 (Dates subject to change or fluctuation based on BC Health Authority’s Covid-19 health recommendations)
Job duties/responsibilities will include:
- Collection of biological, physical, or chemical samples/specimens
- Monitoring of fish populations/stocks, e.g., via snorkel and electrofishing surveys, operation of rotary screw traps, smolt traps, weirs
- Assistance with restoration projects; e.g., riparian planting, large wood restoration, lake nutrient enrichment
- Data entry
- Preparation and maintenance of field equipment
- Currently enrolled or graduated from an accredited biology (ecology) or fisheries science BSc. program
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Competent working with all MS Office programs
- Valid driver’s license, with reliable transportation to/from regional office in Nanaimo.
- Valid first aid certification (Worksafe BC – Level 1)
- Must be physically fit, able to carry heavy items (up to 50 lbs) and work in the field, occasionally in remote locations and inclement weather
- The applicant must meet Canada Summer Jobs criteria as follows: must be between 15-30 years and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Technicians are required to provide their own personal outdoor work gear, this includes items such as: sturdy above ankle work boots, rain gear and sun protection. BCCF will provide personal protective safety gear as required for the tasks.
- Small boat operations certification
- Electrofishing certification
- Fish habitat assessment, restoration and monitoring experience
- Boating experience and competency in small boat operation
- Experience using fisheries and field survey equipment
- In the application form below, enter your name and email information.
- Upload your resume in the resume form field below.
- Write a brief cover letter explaining how your experience/qualifications match the above job description.
- Upload your cover letter in the cover letter field below.
- Once all the files are uploaded, use the submit button to send your completed application. A bright green notification box will appear at the top of the page confirming your application has been received.
Please note that the closing date for this posting is March 5th, 2021.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those applicants who follow the steps outlined above, and clearly demonstrate they have the qualifications we are looking for, will be contacted for the short-listing/interview process.
BCCF reserves the right to cancel or postpone recruitment to this position based on project priorities, funding and other staffing considerations.