BCCF is seeking an experienced and motivated senior biologist/Program manager to join our Vancouver Island team and help deliver and oversee a diverse range of fisheries and environmental projects. Working out of our Lantzville office, the successful candidate will be expected to bring a positive ‘can-do’ attitude to the job, as well as a willingness to learn, adapt and respond quickly while maintaining a high standard of attention to detail.
- Classification: Senior Fisheries Biologist/Program Manager
- Pay Rate: $34 - 40/hr (depending on experience), plus 4% vacation pay paid out hourly
- Hours of Work: Variable depending on project, typically Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Work Location: Based in Lantzville, BC
- Anticipated Start Date: Negotiable but prefer late February - early March, if possible
Brief Job Description:
The position is responsible for providing program oversight of an increasing number of complex assignments and projects of importance to BCCF’s Vancouver Island Fisheries Program, where both direct participation and training and supervising of junior staff is expected. Projects may be highly complex with multiple stakeholders and have significant public profile. The position will manage small to large contracts up to $100K or more per year, and is responsible for project progress and annual reporting requirements in addition to assisting more junior staff with project planning/design, report editing and a broader program level management. Projects are often multi-year, requiring the incumbent to plan and fundraise for ongoing commitments of resources and staffing. Other tasks may include attending meetings and/or conferences on behalf of the BCCF Fisheries team and assistance with HR management of junior staff.
- BSc Degree related to Fish or Aquatic Sciences
- Registered Professional Biologist or eligible for membership in the College of Applied Biology (BC) OR equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience in BC fisheries science, including expertise in field and office settings
- Proficient at delivering physically demanding field projects in challenging environments
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Experience writing funding proposals and responding to RFPs
- Effective data analysis, statistical, and excellent technical reporting skills
- Competent working with all MS Office programs
- Valid driver’s license, with reliable transportation to/from regional office in Lantzville
- In-depth knowledge of South Coast BC freshwater and anadromous fish species and their habitats
- Fish habitat assessment, restoration and monitoring experience
- Versed in fisheries stock assessment techniques including Mark & Recap. tagging and snorkel survey experience
- Swiftwater Safety Level 1 Certification
- Electrofishing Certification (Crew Leader level preferred)
- WorkSafeBC OFA Level 1
- R coding experience
- Electrofishing experience; prefer qualified as Crew Leader
- Boating experience and competency in small boat operation
- Experience using fisheries and field survey equipment
- Experience overseeing all project stages, from concept to monitoring and reporting
- Experience working with community, local government, First Nation and fish agency stakeholders
- Familiarity with project management relating to budgeting and tracking of expenditures
- Ability to work both independently and as a supportive member of the BCCF team
- Knowledge and respect for field safety protocols
- Work performance and professional references, on request
- In the application form below, enter your name and email information.
- Upload your resume in the resume form field below.
- Write a brief cover letter explaining how your experience/qualifications match the above job description.
- Upload your cover letter in the cover letter field below.
- Once all the files are uploaded, use the submit button to send your completed application. A bright green notification box will appear at the top of the page confirming your application has been received.
We will be accepting applications for this position until the position has been filled.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those applicants who follow the steps outlined above, and clearly demonstrate they have the qualifications we are looking for, will be contacted for the short-listing/interview process.
BCCF reserves the right to cancel or postpone recruitment to this position based on project priorities, funding and other staffing considerations.