Omineca Fish & Wildlife Fisheries Technician - 2 positions
Location: Prince George, BC
This position requires a variety of skills and a broad knowledge base to perform the required tasks as outlined below.
Small-lake assessments will include:
- Boating and gillnetting small lakes
- Sampling and recording fish data
- Sampling and recording limnological data and various other tasks
There will be some data entry and report writing required.
Two seasonal short-term fisheries positions will be based in Prince George and will require working closely as an assessment team of two for the field assessment work:
- Crew lead - will provide some pre-project planning (home office based), all fieldwork, and summary reporting up to project completion (home office based) (~2 month term)
- Crew member - will provide mainly the fieldwork component (~1.5 month term)
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree or diploma related to fields in biology, fish & wildlife, natural resource science, environmental science or related fields
- Applicants must be physically fit and able to work long days in adverse conditions
- Experience working in remote locations and familiarity with the use of off-road vehicles and small boats required
- Applicants should be comfortable handling fish
- Applicants must have a valid class 5 driver’s license, Occupational First Aid level 1 or higher, and a Pleasure Craft Operator’s certificate
- Safety awareness
Preference may be given to candidates that meet these additional qualifications:
- Fish identification & Prior experience in fish sampling
- Data collection skills
Rate: $22 – 24/hour depending on experience
Term: September 8 – November 13th, 2020
Approximately 300 hours - Field Crew Lead
Approximately 200 hours– Field Crew Member
*with the possibility of increased hours
Closing date: Tuesday August 4th, 2020 at 12 noon
*We reserve the right to modify, suspend, or cancel this opportunity due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This position requires working with another crew member in close proximity (i.e. two people sharing a vehicle and loading/travelling in a small boat). Employees will be required to follow BCCF’s COVID-19 Vehicle Policies to mitigate their chances of exposure, ensure equipment and work areas are sanitized regularly and establish good hygiene practices. Masks will be required while working closely together in the field. Please see https://bccf.com/sites/default/files/COVID-19%20BCCF%20Letterhead%20-%209th%20July%202020.pdf for more information.
In addition to BCCF safety controls, successful candidates may be asked to adhere to or exceed FLNRORD’s covid-protocols and control measures.
Using the form below, please submit a cover letter and a complete resume in .pdf format, including 3 references with contact information, which clearly shows how you meet the above job requirements. Ensure your name is included in the file title(s).