The British Columbia Conservation Foundation recognizes the value of collaboration and team work in the identification and resolution of workplace health and safety problems. BCCF maintains an active Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC) which meets once per month. The JOHSC meeting minutes are posted after every meeting on the BCCF website. The JOHSC Terms of Reference is also posted on the BCCF website and is reviewed annually.
- Provides access to workplace records and statistics.
- Provide space for holding meetings.
- Allow representatives time to attend meeting and participate in committee functions.
- Post the names of committee members, the three most recent committee meeting minutes, and copies of any WorkSafeBC orders from the preceding 12 months.
- Review formal JOHSC recommendations, provide feedback within 21 days and act on those recommendations if appropriate.
- Attend meeting prepared and informed.
- Provide input as related to the JOHSC purpose and functions.
- Agree to work towards consensus. If a member is unable to agree, he or she will articulate this concern and suggest a potential solution.
- Reach a consensus with recommendations and decisions.
- Recommend invitation of specific guest advisors as needed.
- Participate in inspections, investigations.
- Participate in refusal to unsafe work situations.
- Guides the meetings according to the agenda and time available.
- Ensures all discussion items end with a decision, action or definite outcome.
- Records the meeting minutes.
- Reviews and approves the draft minutes before distribution.
The JOHSC is a key component of an internal responsibility system. The JOHSC allows for health and safety issues to be brought forward and acted upon quickly and effectively.
Terms of Reference
When: Created by the committee during the formation of the committee.
Who: Created by the committee to establish the rules regarding how to perform committee duties and functions.
Tool: Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee Terms of Reference.
Review: Reviewed and revised if required:
Documentation: The Terms of Reference is available on the BCCF website.
When: Created once per month during the JOHSC meeting.
Who: The co-chairs will record the meeting minutes.
Tool: Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee Meeting Minutes
Review: The Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee Meeting Minutes agenda will be distributed prior to each meeting and reviewed by members. After each meeting the Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee Meeting Minutes will be uploaded to the BCCF website for review.
Documentation: The three most recent Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee Meeting Minutes will be posted on the BCCF website. Older minutes will be stored electronically on the BCCF server.
Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee Evaluation
When: The evaluation must occur annually.
Who: The evaluation will be conducted by an appointed committee member with assistance from the co-chairs.
Tool: Joint Health and Safety Committee Evaluation Tool.
Review: The evaluation will be reviewed during the next committee meeting after the Evaluation has been completed.
Documentation: A copy of the Evaluation will be attached the meeting minutes and posted on the BCCF website for review. An electronic copy will be stored on the BCCF server.